Author and Owner of the Site
Professor Dr. Mohamed A. El Meleigi
Professor Dr. Mohamed A. El-Meleigi
Address: Dover NJ USA
• B. Sc. Plant Pathology 1969, College of Agriculture, University of Alexandria, Egypt, Grade Excellent with First Grade of Honor.
• M. Sc. Plant Pathology 1972, College of Agriculture, University of Alexandria, Egypt. Thesis title: Serological studies on certain phytopathogenic root rotting fungi.
• Ph.D. Plant Pathology 1978. Plant Pathology Department, North Dakota State University, Fargo, North Dakota, USA. Thesis title: Kernel and coleoptile proteins of barley covered smut differential cultivars.
• 1989-2016: Professor of Plant Pathology and Microbiology, Plant Production and Protection Department, College of Agriculture and Veterinary Medicine, Qassim University, Saudi Arabia.
• 1984-2016: Director of Plant Diseases and Pests Clinic at Qassim University
• 1985-89: Associate Professor, Plant Protection Department, College of Agric., King Saud University (KSU), Qassim Branch.
• 1983-85: Assistant professor, Plant Protection Department, College of Agric., KSU . Qassim Branch
• 1982-83: Assistant Professor, Plant Pathology Department, Kansas State University, Manhattan, Kansas, USA
• 1979-83: Research Associate, Plant Pathology Department, Kansas State University, USA
• 1978-79: Research Associate, Plant Pathology Department, University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky, USA
• 1974-78: Research Assistant, Plant Pathology Department, North Dakota State University, Fargo, ND, USA
• 1969-74: Teaching Assistant, Plant Pathology Department. College of Agriculture, University of Alexandria, Egypt.
• Head of Plant Protection Department, College of Agriculture and Veterinary Medicine, KSU, Qassim Branch 1983-1996.
Technical training and Visiting Scientist:
• Workshop on identification of Fusarium spp., Fusarium Research Center, Pen. State, 1981.
• Protoplast techniques, Dr. J. Shepard lab., Plant Pathology Dept., Kansas State University (6 months) 1982.
• Visiting Professor, Plant Pathology and Weed Science Department Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Co. Dr. Ralph Baker Laboratory for biological control. Summer of 1990.
• Visiting Professor, Plant Pathology Department, Oklahoma State University. Dr. Hassan Melouk lab., summer of 1995.
• 2013-2016: Selection and Formulation of Beneficial Rhizobacteria for Control of Rhizoctonia and Fusarium diseases in field and greenhouse crops. Funded by Biological control and agricultural information promising research center (BCARC) Ministry of Higher Education and Qassim University, Saudi Arabia ($45,000).
• 2002-2003: Principal Investigator “Biological control of cucurbit Gummy blight disease”, funded by Agriculture Research Center, Qassim University ($ 30,000).
• 1996-2000: Co-Investigator of a national applied research project titled “Deterioration rate of wheat as measured by carbon dioxide production and organisms’ activity”. Funded by KACST ($250,000).
• 1994-1998: Principal Investigator of a national applied research project titled “Studies on biological, physical, and chemical control of major wheat pests in Gassim”. Funded by King Abdel Aziz City for Science and Technology (KACST) ($270,000).
• 1987-1991: Principal Investigator of a national applied research project titled “Fungal and Bacterial Diseases and Insect pests of wheat in Al-Qassem region and their control”. Funded by KACST.($300,000).
• 1982-1983: Research Associate, research project titled: Use of rhizobacteria for control of root diseases in field crops. Funded by Advanced Genetic Science Company, Manhattan, KS. USA ($ 30,000).
• 1979-1982: Research Associate: Project titled “A biotic and biotic stresses affecting corn stalk rot in Kansas, Funded by Kansas Corn Commission.
• 1978-1979: Research Associate: Project titled: Large scale crystallization of F1 protein and the effect of protein residuals on smoke chemistry and biological activity of HLC Tobacco. Plant Pathology and Agronomy Departments, University of Kentucky. Funded in part by the United States Department of Agriculture.
Under graduate courses:
Bacterial diseases, Botany, Fungal diseases, Methods of Plant pathology, Microbiology, Mycology, Plant Pathology, Plant Viral diseases
Advanced Plant Pathology, Biology of Fungi, Physiology of Parasitism, Biological Control.
Academic advisor for 4 Draduate student.
Former Member of Editorial board of Agriculture and Veterinary Science Journal, Qassim University and Indian Journal of Planr Science.
• American Phytopathological Society 1976-present.
• Egyptian writers union
• Arab writers club
• Director of Plant diseases and pests Clinic: 1984- 2016. Fully responsible for extension service in Plant Protection Department including diagnoses of diseases and recommend methods for their control in several crops including alfalfa , citrus, wheat, barley, tomato, cucumber, potato, date palm, corn, sorghum, etc.
• Participated in about 50 workshops for training of farm managers and agricultural engineers on plant disease identification and control in Kansas and Saudi Arabia.
Research Papers &Abstracts:
1- El-Gorrani, M.A. and M. A. El-Meleigi, 1972. Dieback of grapevine of Botrodiplodia theobroma pat. in Egypt. Phytopathologia Mid. 11: 2-3.
2- Wasfy, E., H. Elarosi and M.A. El-Meleigi, 1974. Haustorium types of Peronospora parasitica (Fr) Tul. as seen in host cells of Cauliflower. Egypt J. Phytopathol. 6: 79-80.
3- Abd-El-Rehim, M.A. and M.A. El-Meleigi, 1973. Serological and immunicelectrophoretical relationships among some tomato cultivars. Egypt J. Genetics & Cytol. 2: 255-259.
4- Abd-El-Rehim, M.A., I.A. Ibrahim, S.H. Michail and M. A. El-Meleigi. 1974. Serological relationships of Phythium irregulare. Buisman and certain tomato cultivars, Zbi. Bakt. Abt, 129: 179-182.
5- El-Meleigi, M.A., 1985. The relationship of albumins, globulins and hordeins in barley kernels to barley covered-smut resistance. J. Coll. Agric. King University 7: 221-231.
6- El-Meleigi, M.A., M.A., S.J. Sheen, and R.H. Lowe. 1981. Soluble proteins and enzymes in the subcellular fractions of virus-infected tobacco leaf. Can. J. of Plant Sci. 61: 135-142.
7- El-Meleigi, M.A., S.J. Sheen, and R.H. Lowe. 1981. Changes in fraction 2 protein and associated enzymes during tobacco growth. Tobacco Sci. 25: 30-32.
8- El-Meleigi, M.A. 1983. Method for eradication of Fusarium moniliforme from maize seeds. Proc. Egypt. Soc. App. Microbiology 3: 197-186.
9- El-Meleigi, M.A., L.E. Claflin and R.J. Rany. 1983. Effect of seed borne Fusarium moniliforme and irrigation scheduling on colonization of root and stalk tissues, stalk rot incidence and grain yields. Crop Science 23: 1025-1028.
10 – El-Meleigi, M.A., S.M. Khairy and G.H. Ibrahim. 1984. Tuber diseases associated with locally propagated and imported potato (Solamum tubersoum L.) seeds. Proc. Saudi Biol. Soc. 7: 9-18.
11- Khairy, S.M., M.A. El-Meleigi, and G.H. Ibrahim. 1984. Inflorescence rot (Khamedj) of date palm, caused by Mauginiella scaettae and Alternaria sp. in Gassim area. Proc. Saudi Biol. Soc. 7: 19-29.
12 – El-Meleigi, M.A. 1985. Growth of Fusarium moniliforme as affected by osmotic potential, temperature moisture and sugar contents of corn stalk. J. Coll. Agric., King Saud Univ. 7: 197-202.
13 – El-Meleigi, M.A., 1988. Fungal diseases of spring wheat in Central Saudi Arabia. Crop Protection 7: 207-209.
14 – El-Meleigi, M.A., and Hassan, Z.M. 1988. Effect of seedborne fungi on seed germination, soluble proteins, protease and peroxidase enzymes of corn seedlings. J. coll. Agric. king Saud Univ. 10: 165-171.
15 – El-Meleigi, M.A., 1988. Effect of soil Pseudomonas isolates applied to corn, sorghum and wheat seeds on seedling growth and corn yield. Can. J. Plant Sci. 69: 101-109.
16 – El-Meleigi, M.A. 1989. Effect of soil moisture, carbofuran and MDMV on Fusarium moniliforme , Pratylenchus spp. stalk rot and grain yield of maize. Applied Agric. Res. 4: 248-252.
17-El-Meleigi, M.A., Al-Rokibah, A.A. and Ibrahim G.H. 1987. Study of fungal leaf spts of date palms in Al-Gassim region, Saudi Arabia. Proc. Sec. Conf. Date Palm King Faisal Univ. 2: 401-410.
18 – El-Meleigi, M.A., Shaheen , M.A. and Hassan, Z. M. 1987. Susceptibility of pomegranate cultivars to fruit rots and electrophoretic patterns of their soluble proteins, Proc. Saudi Biol. Soc. 10: 247-255.
19 – El-Hag, E.A. , El-Meleigi, M.A., Rokiba, A.A. and Abdelmoneim, A.E. 1987. The wheat leafminor Agromyzae sp. Proc. Saudi Biol. Soc. 10: 107-115.
20- El-Meleigi, M.A., Rokaibah, A.A. Abdelmonem, A.E. and El-hag E.A. 1990. Survey of wheat pathogens associated with soil and wheat residues in Al Gassim fields prior of sowing season. J. King Saud Univ. 2: 83-91.
21 – Abdelmonem, A.E., El-Meleigi, M.A. and Al-Rokibah, A. A. 1990. Chemical characteristics and bacterial contamination of groundwater in Burydah, Saudi Arabia, J. King Saud Univ. 2: 279-290.
23 – El-Meleigi, M.A. 1990. Scanning Electron Microscopy of Maze pericarp and associated fungi after treatment with hot mixture of alcohol and sodium hypochlorite J. King Saud Univ. 2: 291-304.
24 – El-Meleigi, M.A. and Kiesling, R.L. 1990. Changes in protein contents of resistant and susceptible barley coleoptiles in response to inoculation with Ustilage hordei race 6. JKAU, Met., Env., Arid Land Agric. Sci. 1: 59-65
25 – Soliman, A.S., El-Meleigi, M. A. Abou Zytonah H.A. 1990. Plant Protection. For third year, Agricultural High Schools, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. 285 pp (in Arabic).
26 – Abou Zytonah H.A. El-Meleigi, M.A. and Soliman, S.A. 1990. Practical Plant Protection for Tech. Agriculture, High Schools, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. 130 pp (in Arabic).
27 – El-Meleigi, M.A., 1991. Alternaria blossom-end rot and seedling blight of cucurbits in Gassim. J. King Saud Univ. 3: 77-86.
29 – El-Meleigi,M.A.,Al-Rokibah,A.A.El-Hag E. A. and Abdelmonem A. E. 1991. Fungi Bacteria and insect pests of Wheat Crop in Gassim region and their control. Final Report. King Abdul-Aziz City For Science and Technology. Riyadh. 445 pp.
30 – El-Hag, E.A. and El-Meleigi, M.A. 1991. Bionomics of wheat leaf miner Agromyza sp. (Diptera: Agromyaidoe) in Control Saudi Arabia. Crop Protection 10: 70-73.
31 – El-Hag, E.A. and El-Meleigi, M.A. 1991. Insect pests of spring wheat in central Saudi Arabia. Crop Protection 10: 69-73.
32 – Shaheen, M.A. and El-Meleigi, M.A. 1992. Identification of date palm male cultivars by the electrophoretic patterns of pollen soluble proteins, IKAU: Met., Env., Arid Land Agric. Sci. 2: 97 -103.
33 – El-Meleigi, M.A. 1992. Biological control of Plant Diseases. Science and technology. 20: 17-19. (In Arabic).
34 – El-Meleigi, M.A., Al-Rokibah, A.A., Hassan, Z.M, Ibrahim, G.H., El-Shair, S. M. and Al-Omair, M. 1992. Effect of treatment with Trichoderma, Nonpathogenic Fusarium or Antagonistic Rhizobacteria on control of Cucumber and Tomato damping off in Greenhouse in Saudi Arabia. Proc. First Scientific Saudi Symposium on Controlled Environment Agriculture, College of Agriculture, King Saud University, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia 179-188 .
35- El-Meleigi, M.A., Al-Rokibah, A.A., Hassan, Z.M. and Ibrahim, G.H. 1993. Vascular Wilt of Date Palm (Phoenix dactylifera L.) caused by Fusarium oxysporum in Al-Gassim Region, Central Saudi Arabia. Proc. Of the Third Symposium on The Date Palm in Saudi Arabia.date Palm Research Center, King Faisal University, Al-Hassa, Vol. 2: 67-76.
36 -El-Meleigi, M.A., Al-Rokibah, A.A., Ibrahim, G.H., Shair, S.M. and Omir, M.E. 1993. Survey of wheat diseases in Central Saudi Arabia in 1987, 88 and 1989. Phytopathology 83: 1335 (Abstract).
37 -El-Meleigi, M.A. and Al-Rokibah 1994. Common root rot of wheat and its biological and Chemical Control in Central Saudi Arabia. Fifth Arab Congress of plant protection, Fez Morocco 107-A5 (Abstract).
38 -Mandeel, Q.A., Hassan, Z.M., El-Meleigi, M.A. and Baker, R. 1994. Penetration and Colonization of cucumber roots by pathogenic and non-pathogenic Fusarium oxysporum. Phytopath. Medit., 33: 137-145.
39 -Rokibah, A.A., Shehab El-Din, T.M. and El-Meleigi, M.A. 1995. Effect of Fusarium graminearum, N- Level and their interaction on wheat productivity. Arab Gulf Scient. Res. 13: 499-510
40 -El-Meleigi, M.A., and Al-Rokibah, A.A. 1996. Effect of black point diseases and seed treatment with fungicides on root rot and grain yield oh wheat in the field. JKAU: Met., Arid Land Agric. Sci. 7: 1-7.
41 -El-Meleigi, M.A., and Al-Rokibah, A.A. 1996. Survey of wheat diseases in Central Saudi Arabia. Bull. Fac., Univ. Cairo, 47: 499-512.
42 -Shahin, R. R., El-Meleigi, M.A., Al-Rokibah, A.A. and Eisa, A.M. 1998. Changes in organic matter and fertility of sandy soils as affected by wheat crop-rotation. Bull. Fac.Agric. , Univ. Cairo 49:169-184.
43 — Shahin, R. R., El-Meleigi, M.A., Al-Rokibah, A.A. and Eisa, A.M. 1998. Effect of wheat stubble management pattern on organic carbon content and fertility of sandy soils under pivot irrigation system. Bull. Fac.Agric., Univ. Cairo 49:283-296.
44- El-Meleigi, M. A. and Al-Rehiani, S. M. 2004. Biological control of gummy stem blight (Black rot ) disease of cucurbits in the field using chicken manure and Bacillus polymyxa. JKAU: Met., Env. & Arid Land Agric. Sci., 15: 3-11.
45- El-Meleigi, M. A. 2004. First report on two new diseases of date palm (Phoenix dactylifera), rachis blight caused by Seranomyces californica and wilt of fruit bunch caused by Fusarium moniliforme in Saudi Arabia. Proc. International Conf. on Date Palm, King Saud University, Qassim Branch, College of Agric. And Vet. Med., Burydah, Saudi Arabia, p 49- 61.
46 – El-Meleigi, M. A., Hassan, Z. M. and Ibrahim, G. H. 2007. Biological control of common root rot of spring wheat by coating seeds with Bacillus or Trichoderma spp. in central Saudi Arabia. JKAU: Met., Env. & Arid Land Agric. Sci., 18: 3-12.
47- El-Meleigi, M. A. 2008. Plant diseases and pests in Qassim region reported to plant clinic from 1986- 2006. Journal of Agricultural and Veterinary Sciences 1: 23-34.
48- Vijay Krishna Kumar K., Sudhakar, P. Yellareddygari, S. KR., Kloepper, J. W., H. Sudini, E. C. Surendranatha Reddy, K. S. Lawrence, Appa ,Rao Podile, K. Suresh, V. Sai Sruthi, S. Krishnam Raju, M. E. Miller , Ahmad Al-Turki, Mohamed A. El-Meleigi, R.Z. Sayyed and, Y. Han. 2013. Efficacy of Integral® (Bacillus subtilis MBI 600) in sheath blight management and yield enhancement of rice. Proceedings of 3rd Asian Conference on Plant Growth-Promoting Rhizobacteria (PGPR) and other Microbials Manila, Philippines April 21-24, 2013
49- Surendranatha, E., Reddy, C. Sudhakar, C., Eswara, N.P., Reddy, K. Vijay Krishna Kumar, Suresh K., Al-Turki A., El Meleigi, M.A. and. Reddy, M. S.. 2013. Evaluation of peanut genotypes for physiological and biochemical resistance to Aspergillus flavus infection. Proceedings of 3rd Asian Conference on Plant Growth-Promoting Rhizobacteria (PGPR) and other Microbials Manila, Philippines April 21-24, 2013
50- Yellareddygari, S. KR. K. Vijay Krishna Kumar, Sudini, H., Surendranatha Reddy E. C., R.Z. Sayyed, K. V. Naga Madhuri, K. Suresh, B. Ravindra Reddy, Hemalatha, S,. Al-Turki, A., El Meleigi, M. A. Han Y., Sai Sruthi V. and Reddy, M. S.. 2013. Evaluation of biopesticides for control of Xanthomonas campestris pv.pelargonni in geranium seedlings under greenhouse conditions – Proceedings of 3rd Asian Conference on Plant Growth-Promoting Rhizobacteria (PGPR) and other Microbials Manila, Philippines April 21-24, 2013
51- El-Meleigi, M. A., Al Rogaibah, A. A., Ibrahim, G. H. and Al-Gamahan, K. A. 2014. Role of antibiosis and production of Indole-3-acetic acid by bacilli strains in suppression of root pathogens and growth promotion of alfalfa seedlings. Int. J. Curr. Microbiol. App. Sci 3:685-696.
Text Books and Education References:
1. El-Meleigi, M.A., M.A., Yosif, G. Abou Zytonah, H.A. and Naser, A.A. 1988. Biology, For Tech Agricultural High Schools, Ministry of Education, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. 265 pp (in Arabic).
2. 21- El-Meleigi, M.A.1988. Practical Biology. For Tech. Agricultural High Schools, Ministry of Education, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. 125 pp (in Arabic).
3. El-Meleigi, M.A., Al-Rokibah, A.A. Yousif, G. Abdulmonem A.E. and Al-Hag, E.A. 1988. Diseases and pests of wheat. Tech. Poll. 1 college of Agriculture, KSU, Gassim (in Arabic).
4. El-Meleigi, M.A., Al-Hag E.A. Abou Zytonah, H. A. and Al-Karawy, M.A. 1989. Plant Protection for Agricultural High Schools, Ministry of Education Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. 255 pp (in Abrabic).
5. El-Meleigi, M.A., Al-Hag, E.A., Abou Zytonah and Al-Karawy, M.A. 1989. Practical Plant Protection. For Agricultural high schools, Ministry of Education, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
6. El-Meleigi, M.A. and Hassan, Z.M. 1992. Wheat diseases. Al Marrikh Pub. Co., Riyadh, Saudi Arabia 215 pp. (in Arabic).
7. El-Meleigi, M. A., Abdel Maged, H. M. and Hassan, Z. M. 2007. Microbiology. Qassim University Press. 413 pp. (Text Book In Arabic)
8. El-Meleigi, M.A. and Yousif, T.A., 1993. Principles of Plant Protection. Organization of Technical and Training Education. Agriculture Technical Institutes. Ministry of Education. Kingdom of Saudi Arabia 190 pp.
9. El-Meleigi, M. A. and Hassan, Z. M. 2016. Illustrated terms of Plant Pathology Sciences. Qassim University Press. Ministry of Higher Education , Kingdom of Saudi Arabia 301 P.
10. El- Meleigi, M. A., Al Rokibah, A. A. , Omar, A. and Gamhan, K. 2016. Diseases of Date palm in Saudi Arabia and their control. Qassim University Press. Ministry of Higher Education , Kingdom of Saudi Arabia 290 P (in Press).
Short stories and Novels
El-Meleigi, M. A. 2015. Nouran. Dar Al Yasmin, Cairo 162 P. (Best Seller)
El-Meleigi, M. A. Raheel. 2016. Dar Al Yasmin, Cairo 240 P.